CHICKEN & WILD RICE SALAD
- 2/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 skinless , boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 head romaine lettuce, rinsed and dried
- (optional) 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes
- In a medium saucepan, cover wild rice with 3 inches of salted water. Bring to a boil and boil uncovered, for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the excess water, turn heat to lowest setting, cover rice and let steam for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, saute the chicken lightly in the oil, cooking gently and throughly.
- Do not overcook the chicken. Cool and shred the chicken into bite size pieces.
- In a medium bowl, mix together rice, chicken, and water chestnuts. Set aside.
- For the dressing, whisk together the walnut oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Pour over the wild rice mixture and combine.
- If desired, add in the sun-dried tomatoes.
- Place over a bed of romaine lettuce and serve!
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (PER SERVING):
- YIELDS 4 SERVINGS
- Calories: 259
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbs: 18g
- Protein: 21g